Is there such a thing as the right time to apply beauty products or specific hours when cosmetics are most effective? According to science, timing is everything. It’s so essential that you should look at your watch before using cosmetics on your skin.
Have you heard about Chronobiology?
Knowing the hours when cosmetics are most effective comes from chronobiology and the circadian rhythm. They represent a whole new world in the cosmetic industry, inviting us to add to our beauty routine sleeping with masks, gloves and socks. It’s all based on scientific studies including a Medicine Nobel Prize work, “The molecular mechanisms that control circadian rhythm“. These studies show us that our skin cells focus on different things at different times of the day. During the daytime, the cells work in defending and protecting the skin against external aggressions like ultraviolet rays and pollution. At night, the cells can repair the damage and regenerate the skin.
And what is Circadian Rhythm?
Skin cells follow the circadian rhythm, which is an almost 24-hour cycle in the physiological processes of all living beings. The circadian rhythm controls the hormones we produce, notably cortisol and melatonin. These hormones have an effect on the cosmetics we use.
Here is an example: after 6 p.m., when melatonin starts coming into action, beauty treatments to repair and regenerate your skin and fillers that form collagen will work better. On the other hand, it would make no sense to apply an anti-oxidant product at night, because it protects tissues against the oxidation that cortisol causes during the day.
What cosmetics work better in daytime.
- Use anti-oxidants like Vitamin C that help lower the production of melanin and protect your skin against environmental aggressions and free radicals.
- Moisturizer is absolutely important to your skin’s health. It keeps the level of hydration in your skin, reducing dryness and protecting your skin barrier. Look for a rich cream which contains Hyaluronic Acid, Collagen and Urea
- Sunscreen protects your skin against ultraviolet rays and against blue lights, in case you work in front of the computer. Use them every morning, no matter the season or your skin type.
What cosmetics work better at night
When you sleep, the body temperature and the horizontal position increase the blood flow, which helps you oxygenate the cells, drain and eliminate waste and fluids. So, night is the right time to apply:
- Anti-cellulite creams, leave-in hair lotions, and all products containing active ingredients that promote the regeneration and nutrition of the skin.
- Retinol, glycol acid or alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) serums work more efficiently at night, especially during the “Golden Hours“, that period between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. Also known as the REM phase of sleep, that is when tissues are better repaired and regenerated.
- Use your microneedling devices only at night. The cell turnover that happens while you sleep will improve your skin radiance.
- Apply your moisturiser to go to bed, no matter what serum or treatment you did before, and finish with a hydrating cream. Use the hour when your skin is regenerating to hydrate it, ensuring that your skin is keeping the levels of water. In this way, you will have plump and glowing healthy skin.
knowing the hours when cosmetics are most effective is like making time works for you. And remember, no matter how old you are, your skin can always be beautiful.
Photos via Shutterstock and Wikimedia